Dealing with the paperwork that comes with being injured at work may seem like a daunting task at first, especially when you’re out of sorts. But here at the NUW NSW, we can help you every step of the way to make a claim and recover from your injury until you’re ready to return to work.



  • Stop work immediately if you have injured yourself, and notify your employer as soon as possible following a workplace injury.
  • Always see your own doctor, NOT the company doctor. Don’t let your boss convince you to see a company doctor, you have a legal right to choose your own doctor.
  • Don’t accept a supervisor, leading hand or anyone else from management coming into your doctors’ rooms with you. You have the right to consult with a doctor in private. In fact, no one can accompany you in a consult with your doctor without your permission, despite what your boss might tell you.
  • Make sure that your doctor gives you a WorkCover Certificate of Capacity (medical certificate), and that you understand the restrictions that are on the certificate (if there are any)



  • Don’t let management talk you out of making a WorkCover claim. It is your right to make a claim if you have injured yourself at work.
  • Provide your employer with a copy of the WorkCover Certificate of Capacity that your doctor has given you straight away.
  • Fill out an injury claim form. If you need assistance filling out the form, speak to your union delegate or call the NUW office on 9682 4622.
  • Once your claim is accepted the insurer may suggest that a rehabilitation provider be engaged to assist with your return to work. You have a legal right to choose your own rehabilitation provider.



The Workers Health Centre is a non for profit organisation established by the unions to look after union members and provide rehabilitation services to assist in returning to work after a workplace injury. We recommend that you utilise their services. You can either contact the NUW office on 9682 4622 and ask to be referred, or contact the WHC directly on 9749 7666 and inform them that you are a NUW NSW member. There is no charge for these services, it is all covered by the insurer.



  • Seek advice from your local NUW delegate or the NUW office on 9682 4622 if you are unsure about anything to do with your injury or Workers Compensation claim.

Leave a comment