The role of a NUW Union Delegate is to act as the Union representative in the workplace. In conjunction with the Officers of the Union, the duty of a Delegate is to advance and protect the interests of the Union and the wages, conditions and welfare of its members by the following means:
- Promoting the Union, its activities and the benefits of membership, including participating in induction sessions for new employees;
- Enrolling persons into the NUW at the workplace and maintaining a high standard of financial membership;
- Providing assistance to any member of the NUW requiring it, including assisting in the resolution of disputes;
- Promoting and campaigning for improved conditions of employment in the workplace and/or industry;
- Negotiating or assisting in negotiating enterprise agreements including by preparing members’ claims, representing the Union during negotiations and communicating regularly with members and Officers;
- Encouraging and promoting the training of Delegates and of members in matters affecting their conditions of employment and participating in training;
- Dealing with instances of a breach of any industrial instrument or Union policy or regulation applying at the workplace;
- Dealing with occupational health and safety issues, including hazardous working conditions at the workplace;
- Distributing or disseminating all union notices, newsletters, documents and news updates;
- Complying with any reasonable request of an Official of the Union.
If you are interested in becoming a delegate or wish to enrol in our delegates training, please contact your NUW Official. You can also register in our training here.